Back to Success Stories
Spinning the Wheel of Conversation
Juvenescence Affect Corporation
Please briefly describe your Communities Talk activity.
We held an in-person conference about underage drinking prevention aimed toward youth in our community. To begin the conference and overall dialogue, we asked several questions, ranging from youth’s current thoughts on underage drinking and alcohol and substance use, to whether they have had a conversation about prevention with an adult in their life. As questions were answered, youth had the chance to spin the wheel and win a prize that had been donated to us. We developed our “fun facts” used in the game from the Communities Talk site.
How does alcohol and other drug misuse affect your community?
Based on what we heard from our participants, parents/caregivers aren’t discussing the issue of underage drinking and substance use/misuse in-depth; but rather are casually mentioning the issue at hand.
What goal(s) did you hope to accomplish with your Communities Talk activity?
- Reduce prevalence of underage drinking and other substances in community
- Create an ongoing conversation about underage drinking and substance use prevention in the community
What challenge(s) did you face in planning your activity this year?
- Change in organizational structure or staff
How did you overcome these challenges?
Despite changes in our staff, we rallied together with another local partner and continued the event.
What are your next steps?
- Expand our coalition with new partnerships in the community
- Conduct research efforts to learn more about issues in our community
Which Communities Talk resources (or other SAMHSA resources) were most helpful for your activity?
- StopAlcoholAbuse.gov website
- Communities Talk website
- Communities Talk planning guides
- Communities Talk toolkits
- These resources allowed me to have a base to research further.
Who did you involve in your activity planning, and who did your activity impact?
We collaborated with the local community recreational center. Our focus was to engage with preteens and teens to get to know their thoughts about underage drinking and substance use.
Did the COVID-19 pandemic affect the planning or execution of your activities?
Yes, we made sure to have masks and sanitizer available for attendees.
Return to Success Stories