Back to Success Stories
Sober October Mocktail Parties
Aroostook County Action Program
Please briefly describe your Communities Talk activity.
We held two virtual mocktail parties, a University Mocktails Party and a Halloween Trunk-or-Treat Mocktails Party, that engaged several communities in our county. At these events, we interacted with all ages to talk about alcohol consumption, provide alcohol use/misuse prevention resources, and create some fun mocktails.
How does underage drinking and substance misuse affect your community?
In the 2021 Maine Kids Count Data, we compared data from 2017 to 2019 to see how underage drinking and substance misuse affect our community. We saw vaping rates double, marijuana use trend up, alcohol use remain steady, and tobacco use go down.
What goal(s) did you hope to accomplish with your Communities Talk activity?
- Reduce prevalence of underage drinking and other substances in community
- Create an ongoing conversation about underage drinking and substance use prevention in the community
- Create new resources/materials (e.g., publications, handouts, factsheets, videos, graphics) to support prevention of underage drinking and misuse of other substances
Who did you involve in your activity planning, and who did your activity impact?
The activity planning involved a project lead from another local drug prevention coalition and within our ACAP IMPACT team of prevention, restorative practices, and cessation experts. The intended audience were people of all ages, with a focus on parents, to set an example for youth regarding drinking nonalcoholic beverages instead of alcoholic beverages.
Which Communities Talk resources (or other SAMHSA resources) were most helpful for your activity?
- StopAlcoholAbuse.gov website
- Communities Talk website
- Communities Talk planning guides
- SAMHSA s Alcohol Use resources
Did the COVID-19 pandemic affect the planning or execution of your activities?
The COVID-19 pandemic did not affect the planning or execution of our activities.
What other challenge(s) did you face in planning your activity this year?
How did you overcome these challenges?
We did not have any challenges with our activities.
What are your next steps?
- Host follow-up meetings or activities
- Expand our coalition with new partnerships in the community
- Create a public education campaign to raise awareness and/or change behaviors around underage drinking (i.e., create PSAs and other promotional materials)
Return to Success Stories