Back to Success Stories
Lunch and Learn: Let's Talk About Underage Drinking
Prevention Action Alliance UMADAOP of Dayton
Please briefly describe your Communities Talk activity.
This lunch and learn was held via a virtual platform that included statistics, prevention materials, Q&A, in addition to other discussions across Ohio. Prevention Action Alliance, SheRay’s & Associates, and the UMADAOP of Dayton collaborated on an hour and half presentation.
How does alcohol and other drug misuse affect your community?
Across Ohio underage drinking is not a myth. In having this lunch and learn it was found out that the access of those involved in underage drinking is due to lack of information, the advertising of such cool things, and the credibility of the neighborhood salesperson.
What goal(s) did you hope to accomplish with your Communities Talk activity?
- Reduce prevalence of underage drinking and other substances in community
- Create an ongoing conversation about underage drinking and substance use prevention in the community
- Foster collaboration between community stakeholders for continued underage drinking and substance use prevention activities
What challenge(s) did you face in planning your activity this year?
- Inexperience hosting Communities Talk activities
What are your next steps?
- Expand our coalition with new partnerships in the community
- Support new prevention policies, legislation, or social ordinances
Which Communities Talk resources (or other SAMHSA resources) were most helpful for your activity?
- Communities Talk website
- Communities Talk toolkits
Who did you involve in your activity planning, and who did your activity impact?
The African American community, SheRay and Associate's, UMADAOP of DAYTON, High school personnel and families within the local communities.
Did the COVID-19 pandemic affect the planning or execution of your activities?
Return to Success Stories