Back to Success Stories
Adverse Childhood Experiences, Trauma, and the Relationship to Substance Misuse
Mprint Community Wellness
How does alcohol and other drug misuse affect your community?
Underage drinking and substance use are evident in our community. After two recent drug overdoses, our organization jumped into action. We had the opportunity to collaborate with other community organizations to help combat the drug crisis by implementing drug prevention and educational workshops.
What challenge(s) did you face in planning your activity this year?
- Needed additional resources to conduct activity
What are your next steps?
- Host follow-up meetings or activities
- Expand our coalition with new partnerships in the community
- Conduct research efforts to learn more about issues in our community
- Create a public education campaign to raise awareness and/or change behaviors around underage drinking (i.e., create PSAs and other promotional materials)
Which Communities Talk resources (or other SAMHSA resources) were most helpful for your activity?
- Prevention-related webinars
- StopAlcoholAbuse.gov website
- Communities Talk website
- Communities Talk toolkits
How did a Communities Talk event help you address those issues?
- Mobilized coalition members or other stakeholders
- Engagement with local government leaders and business owners to consider policy changes such as social hosting laws or restaurant worker trainings
- Educated youth and parents
- Built community cohesiveness and support for our efforts
- Created an opportunity to share resources and practices with other community stakeholders
- Helped plan future prevention efforts
- Made making good health behavior choices fun and engaging
- Raised awareness of substance abuse and/or underage drinking issues in our community
How did your event make an impact on underage drinking in your community?
Our event impacted our community by educating substance users and family members on the effects of substance misuse in general. We conducted workshops to address alcohol and substance misuse to abate the use of alcohol and drugs. The long-term goal is to reduce the devastating negative consequences of substance misuse and to focus on preventive measures with youth and parents.
Return to Success Stories