Back to Success Stories
CRUSADA CONSORTIA TRAINER OF TRAINER
How does underage drinking and substance misuse affect your community?
Representatives from 31 universities in Puerto Rico came together for a two-day training on underage drinking prevention. The participants received information on alcohol use disorder (AUD) from the state resource agency and from the interuniversity CRUSADA-CORE Study. At the end of the training, we administered a survey where we received positive feedback. Seventy-five percent of participants rated the training as “excellent” and 24 percent of participants rated it as “very good.”
How did a Communities Talk event help you address those issues?
- Mobilized coalition members or other stakeholders
- Helped plan future prevention efforts
- Raised awareness of substance abuse and/or underage drinking issues in our community
- Emphasis of peer education
Which Communities Talk resources (or other SAMHSA resources) were most helpful for your activity?
- Prevention-related webinars
- Prevention videos, such as College Drinking: Prevention Perspectives
- StopAlcoholAbuse.gov website
How did your event make an impact on underage drinking in your community?
It allowed us to raise awareness of the importance of discussing underage drinking prevention at the university level and helped people make connections with colleagues working in similar roles across the Puerto Rico university community.
What other challenge(s) did you face in planning your activity this year?
- Lack of interest from the community
How did you overcome these challenges?
We struggled with a lack of interest from the community, but through our outreach efforts we were able to emphasize the importance of this effort in our community. We also were able to highlight the importance of abiding by state and federal laws.
What are your next steps?
- Conduct research efforts to learn more about issues in our community
Return to Success Stories