Back to Success Stories
CRUSADA CONSORTIA TRAINER OF TRAINER
How does alcohol and other drug misuse affect your community?
Representatives from 31 universities in Puerto Rico came together for a two-day training on underage drinking prevention. The participants received information on alcohol use disorder (AUD) from the state resource agency and from the interuniversity CRUSADA-CORE Study. At the end of the training, we administered a survey where we received positive feedback. Seventy-five percent of participants rated the training as “excellent” and 24 percent of participants rated it as “very good.”
What challenge(s) did you face in planning your activity this year?
- Lack of interest from the community
What are your next steps?
- Conduct research efforts to learn more about issues in our community
Which Communities Talk resources (or other SAMHSA resources) were most helpful for your activity?
- Prevention-related webinars
- Prevention videos, such as College Drinking: Prevention Perspectives
- StopAlcoholAbuse.gov website
How did a Communities Talk event help you address those issues?
- Mobilized coalition members or other stakeholders
- Helped plan future prevention efforts
- Raised awareness of substance abuse and/or underage drinking issues in our community
- Emphasis of peer education
How did your event make an impact on underage drinking in your community?
It allowed us to raise awareness of the importance of discussing underage drinking prevention at the university level and helped people make connections with colleagues working in similar roles across the Puerto Rico university community.
Return to Success Stories