Back to Success Stories
Boise State Dean of Students Office
How does alcohol and other drug misuse affect your community?
At Boise State, we have seen an uptick in misconduct due to increased underage drinking, binge drinking, and substance misuse. Additionally, we have seen drinking coupled with increased drug use. As such, we have made it a point to act swiftly to maintain a safe and healthy campus community and prevent substance use across the board.
What challenge(s) did you face in planning your activity this year?
- Needed additional resources to conduct activity
What are your next steps?
- Host follow-up meetings or activities
- Create new action groups to tackle specific issues raised during our Communities Talk activity
- Expand our coalition with new partnerships in the community
Which Communities Talk resources (or other SAMHSA resources) were most helpful for your activity?
- Communities Talk website
- Communities Talk planning guides
How did a Communities Talk event help you address those issues?
- Mobilized coalition members or other stakeholders
- Engagement with local government leaders and business owners to consider policy changes such as social hosting laws or restaurant worker trainings
- Educated youth and parents
- Built community cohesiveness and support for our efforts
- Created an opportunity to share resources and practices with other community stakeholders
- Helped plan future prevention efforts
- Made making good health behavior choices fun and engaging
- Raised awareness of substance abuse and/or underage drinking issues in our community
How did your event make an impact on underage drinking in your community?
At our event, we provided students with resources regarding underage drinking and alcohol misuse. As we brought awareness to a safe and healthy campus lifestyle, we were able to meet students and community partners working toward the same goal, which helped elevate our initiative.
Return to Success Stories