Back to Success Stories
Safe and Sober Event
Renville Alliance for the Prevention of Alcohol and Drugs
How does alcohol and other drug misuse affect your community?
The drug of choice in our county has consistently been alcohol. Our county data shows that our youth use rate is higher than the state average—in a state that uses alcohol higher than the national average. While progress has been made in lowering underage drinking rates, alcohol consumption remains high. A long-time county probation officer describes the population as "hard working and hard drinking.”
What challenge(s) did you face in planning your activity this year?
- Weather conditions hampered event
How did you overcome these challenges?
We went on with the event but could have had better participation on a nicer day.
What are your next steps?
- Expand our coalition with new partnerships in the community
- Create a public education campaign to raise awareness and/or change behaviors around underage drinking (i.e., create PSAs and other promotional materials)
Which Communities Talk resources (or other SAMHSA resources) were most helpful for your activity?
- Communities Talk website
- Communities Talk toolkits
- Communities Talk e-Alerts
How did a Communities Talk event help you address those issues?
- Educated youth and parents
- Made making good health behavior choices fun and engaging
- Raised awareness of substance abuse and/or underage drinking issues in our community
How did your event make an impact on underage drinking in your community?
We held our event at a local school. The school administration was there, as well as law enforcement and the student body and teachers. It was open to the public as well.
Return to Success Stories