Back to Success Stories
Yakima Community Coalition Kick Off Meeting
Educational Service District 105/ Yakima Community Coalition
How does alcohol and other drug misuse affect your community?
Working in the beer and wine industry are how many families support themselves in the Yakima community. Alcohol use is a difficult topic to discuss, but it is important for our coalition to shed light on the long-term impact of alcohol use. Because alcohol is so prominent in our community, it is that much more important to teach youth about healthy boundaries and the illegality of alcohol use for those under 21, without denigrating a parent’s ability to provide for their family.
What challenge(s) did you face in planning your activity this year?
- Lack of interest from the community
- Particularly severe or resistant substance use issues in our community
- Unforeseen difficulties when planning our activity
- Lack of awareness of our event or organization
What are your next steps?
- Expand our coalition with new partnerships in the community
Which Communities Talk resources (or other SAMHSA resources) were most helpful for your activity?
- StopAlcoholAbuse.gov website
- Communities Talk website
How did a Communities Talk event help you address those issues?
- Mobilized coalition members or other stakeholders
How did your event make an impact on underage drinking in your community?
This event encouraged us to change from a traditional top-down prevention model to a bottom-up one. We found that our prevention strategies worked best when we focused on listening to our community members’ concerns rather than focusing on the goal of our agency.
Return to Success Stories