Interagency Coordinating Committee on the Prevention of Underage Drinking (ICCPUD)
The vision of the Interagency Coordination Commitee on the Prevention of Underage Drinking (ICCPUD) is to provide national leadership in federal policy and programming to support state and community activities that prevent and reduce underage drinking.
The Interagency Coordinating Committee on the Prevention of Underage Drinking (ICCPUD) was created in 2004 when Congress directed the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to establish the ICCPUD to coordinate all federal agency activities related to the problem of underage drinking. The ICCPUD’s role was formalized in the 2006 Sober Truth on Preventing Underage Drinking (STOP) Act, which was reauthorized in 2016 as part of the 21st Century Cures Act. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) was directed by the HHS Secretary to convene ICCPUD and serve as the lead agency. As specified in the STOP Act, the ICCPUD is composed of 16 federal officials, some of whom have delegated participation to specific agencies and/or staff.
The ICCPUD’s mission is twofold:
- To facilitate collaboration among the 15 federal member agencies, state and local governments, private and public national organizations, and agencies with responsibility for the health, safety, and wellbeing of America’s children and youth.
- To provide resources and information on underage drinking prevention, intervention, treatment, enforcement, and research.
Members of the ICCPUD and other federal partners commit to:
- Speak with a common voice on the prevalence, risks, and consequences of underage drinking;
- Increase public awareness about underage drinking and its consequences; and
- Reinforce effective, evidence-based practices as part of a federally coordinated approach to prevent and reduce underage drinking.
Each ICCPUD agency contributes their leadership and vision to developing a national commitment to prevent and reduce underage alcohol use.
In 2018, the ICCPUD principals met and approved an updated Comprehensive Plan for preventing and reducing underage drinking. The Plan describes the role of the ICCPUD and sets out goals, including specific targets for 2021. Click here for a copy of the Plan (PDF | 2MB).