Start Planning for Your Communities Talk Event
What can you do now to get ready for your next Communities Talk event?
Additionally, you can share statistics from SAMHSA’s 2017 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH) data to inform your community about the issue of underage drinking. Community leaders, parents, and other concerned citizens may become invested in preventing underage drinking when they realize how many youth begin drinking alcohol each year and that underage drinking is related to other substance abuse. The number of 12- to 17-year-olds who began using alcohol in 2017:
How 12- to 20-year-olds obtained alcohol in 2017:
- 2 million used alcohol for the first time
- 6,400 began using alcohol each day
Alcohol and the relationship to other substance misusein 2017 (ages 12-17 that drank in the past month):
- 10 percent–from parents or guardians
- 10 percent–from another family members over age 21
- 6 percent–took it from their own house
- 3 percent– took it from someone else’s house
- 24 percent also reported illicit drug use
- 23 percent also reported marijuana use
- 1 percent also reported misusing opioids
Read 10 Steps for Town Hall Meeting Planningfor more information to plan your event. And, stay tuned for more information about Communities Talk events in the coming months.